Sunday, May 07, 2006

Because Free is Better

So once again free comic book day has come and gone. My original plans were to go home for free comic book day, and celebrate the festivites with the droogs at Ralph's Comic Corner, my former occupation. Unfortunately, something came up and i was unable to make the Trek home. Fortunately I was able to do a small comic book store tour of LA with fellow comics weblogger Dafna Pleban. We crammed into a her badass Volvo along with fellow comic enthusiast Ivan as we drove around our shady little town of Los Angeles.

The first stop was Earth 2 comics were we hoped to catch a glimpse of Mark Waid, but he had left only moments before we arrived, sucks... so we then went to Meltdown on Sunset, where we did happen to cathch Brian K Vaugn. I gave him repect knuckles and bought a Jeffry Brown book I had been meaning to pick up, along with some "emo ass" merchandise as Dafna so eloquently put it.

Unfortunately for Ivan, he had to sit through nearly 4 hours of me and Dafna discussing such important issues as favorite Hellblazer storylines, why Bendis is a hack/genius, our fantasy casting for a Preacher movie (Clint Howard as TC, Jeff Bridges as God, Adam Baldwin as Jodie, and Katee Sackoff as Tulip just to name a few), and why working at a comic book store is both a blessing and a curse.

For those of you who want more of me and Dafna's diluded opinions, we're gonna be on the UCLA radio show Undeclared Wednesday morning to discuss which is better, Marvel or DC. I say DC... Dafna says DC as well (but will be arguing for Marvel.) Funny story, we were in Secret Stash today when a host for Undeclared (not the one who invited us to the show) comes in asking to put down fliers, saying that two people will be on the show to discuss Marvel Vs. DC, and we both turn around and say "Hey, that's us!"

So the f%#@* has the nerve to say "which one is DC?"
I reply "I am"
He says "are you serious, Marvel is so much better, your crazy"
I courteiously respond "do you even read comics?"
He explains that he has never read comic books only a few graphic novels (arg!), conveying he knows Marvel is superior because the X-men show was good so long ago.
*I say "how can you seriously make a judgement call as such, and belittle my beliefs, without even familiarizing yourself with the core material. You've prolly read maybe 2 dozen comics in your life, at most, excluding V for Vendetta and Sin City... which you can prolly tell me everything about (sarcasm, btw), compared to myself who has read thousands of comics. Your gonna tell me that The House of Ideas (also sarcasm) is better because a show that hasn't aged well was good when you were 7? That show is not good anymore, campy at best... and the only reason you like it is because it reminds you of your innocent youth, you look at it now and laugh, it's a joke with hipsters wearing Uncanny X-Men T-shirts as ironic. You should have watched Batman Adventures when you were a kid, now that was good then and is good now. The Bruce Timm style, the plot, and the animation blows Uncanny X-men out of the water. But we're not talking about children shows, the books are just plain better... you have better writing, better stories, and just plain better characters."
"What about Aquaman?"
"What about Aquaman?"

I think I'll do a good job on Wednesday.

I would have done some reviews on some FCBD books, but unfortunately I left them in Dafna's car... and no I didn't do that intentionally so I would have to call her back. What do you take me for?

*maybe I'm embellishing a bit, but the idea is there.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mikester said...

I'm not hearing enough Swamp Thing talk on the radio show.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home