Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Man or Astroman?

I've decided that August will be the month where I get my act together and actually attempt to blog in a near daily fashion, not that I truely expect more readership... but rather because I believe the internets needs a voice like mine: headstrong, charming, and just plain damn sexy.

Recently, and I do mean mere moments ago, I finished rewatching the entire first season of Battlestar Galactica in my home theatre. I think the second time around I picked up on a lot more subtleties than I did two years ago (if they can be called subtleties in a show where much of the theme is force fed to an audience that would have been just as happy watching another mind numbing season of SG:1, not to say it's not good... it is, believe me). The DVD, and this goes to say with all DVD box sets, was able to hold my attention and interest much stronger than it did only a couple of years ago in weekly fixes. I myself suffer from a short attention span and an even shorter memory, so being able to cram three or so episodes a night really did wonders for how much I got out of the show. And yes, I am employed.

I had forgotten how expertly written this rookie season of the show turned out to be, and why it deserved all those fancy awards it recieved. Very little complaints on my behalf; enjoyable and satisfying are probably my two choice terms to describe the season. It had action, intrigue, Edward James Olmos, espiniage, asian robot sex, and spaceships... everything a person should want and need in thier life. I'm particularily fond of the first non-miniseries episode '33', in which the crew of the Galactica had to escape Cylon attack every 33 minutes. I don't believe a person could really stay awake for 150+ hours, but it's fun to see everyone with their "I'm tired" make up on.

Only a few things I will note... I wish there was more about Chief Tyrol and Galactica Boomer's relationship before she tried to Jack-Ruby Commander Adama. The relationship doesn't feel as strong as many of the others in the series, even the Caprica Boomer-Helo thing made slightly more sense than their relationship (though, of course, that relationship is strongly based on the robot being his baby's momma). I also have a newfound respect for Dr. Baltar, particularily James Callis' acting abilities, I enjoyed rewatching the scenes where he must juggle trying to communicate with the crew of the Galactica while also attempting to play/not infuriate Number 6, they pan out beautifully eery, often times quirky and lighhearted, but often leave you with a sense of dread... or that proverbial bad taste in your mouth. Though, i do dislike the fact he is neither a Count, nor wears a long flowing cloak.

And one more thing, what the hell happened to Boxey? Did he not test well during the mini-series or something, cause that kid disapered faster than the plot of Clerks II. There was some kind of sub plot between him and Boomer, perhaps a 'can a cylon understand motherhood?' thing, but that never truly panned out either.

Oh well, if you haven't seen it here's the
teaser for Season 3. Three times the excitement, three times the cylon, one less eye.

And here's the real travesty, three seasons, and still no Muffit the Robotic Daggit. He'll probably have laser eyes and stuff like that of they ever decide to add him... plus he'll be a sexy, spine glowing cylon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home